Saturday 15 March 2014

PFF and IHSFFF 2014



I'll be posting much more on these events in the future, as they're the cornerstone of film in the Phoenix area, but the schedules have been posted to the Phoenix Film Festival's website for both the Phoenix Film Festival and its sister event, now subsumed into it, the International Horror & Sci-Fi Film Festival.

As these pages are designed to help festival goers figure out how to schedule their day, the index pages I've posted to Apocalypse Later might help those also interested in the sweeping scope of the festivals, especially as I also link to the IMDb pages for each film. These will remain in place after the festivals finish for future reference. I'll link each title to my reviews as I post them.

Here's my index page for the 2014 International Horror & Sci-Fi Film Festival, celebrating its tenth anniversary this year.

Here's my index page for the 2014 Phoenix Film Festival, now in its 14th year.

I'm buzzed to see some of the titles on offer, especially Mike Flanagan's Oculus, his widely acclaimed follow up to my favourite film of the last decade, Absentia, which won Best Horror Feature in 2011. Bizarrely, it's advertised as playing on the horror/sci-fi side of the event, but listed in the schedules as part of the mainstream side. Whichever side it's really playing on, I'll be there with bells on.

Other films I'm keen to see on the PFF side are the opening night film, Locke with Tom Hardy (though that will be tough to get into), The House That Jack Built from Henry Barrial, who made the 2012 Best Sci-Fi Feature winner, Pig and the enticing feature 45RPM. The competition features were so good last year, I can't wait to find out how the Phoenix Film Foundation have followed up with this year's selection.

On the horror/sci-fi side, there's Sion Soto's Why Don't You Play in Hell?, which beat out Oculus for the top honours at TIFF Midnight Madness this year, Fangoria editor Chris Alexander's Queen of Blood and The Sacrament, whose director, Ti West, will be there to present his film.

No comments: